Author Topic: She doesn't know what it's called. (What a surprise!)  (Read 133 times)

Doug K

  • ECNA Co-Founder
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1110
  • Choosing to Live FREE of Social Media Influences
  • Location: Port Byron NY
    • ECNA US Website
Actually the New York State Canal Corporation is VERY CLEAR on the differences between Canal Embankment Dams and a run of the mill "levee".

You can find the word levee there, they made it a point to put this distinction on their NYS Canal Integrity Website under the Frequently Asked Questions tab

So it appears that NYPA & the NYSCC had planned in advance, this whole "it's a Levee not a Dam" argument, and added this single statement for clarification.

And since the NYS Canal Corporation is the LEAD AGENCY on the NYS SEQR Environmental Impact Review, they are allowed to take the path of "highest public safety" without question or condemnation by their peers.

Sadly some of the public doesn't agree and has been condemning the Canal Corporation and parent NYPA, for 4 years on Facebook, just for breathing clean  Erie Canal air at times.

If the NYS Canal Corporation says they will treat the Erie Canal Earthen Embankments as if they were "part time dams" used 75% of the year, and maintained, repaired and inspected for the other 25%, who are WE to tell them we don't think that's a "good idea"?

After all WE are not responsible for the safety of the public & communities living below all that impounded Erie Canal water, are we?

There are billions & billions of gallons of Lake Erie & Genesee River water waiting to flood any community, with even the smallest breach in an embankment, caused by an unkempt earthen dam, or a lack of proper inspection to identify the potential issue in the first place.One large tree down, on any overgrown embankment can start a chain-reaction flood that many will say "could have been avoided" after the fact.

Why would ANYONE stand in the way of any State Run Agency doing their job to IMPROVE PUBLIC SAFETY? (especially when the word flood is used)

Terminology is not all this Facebook group has gotten wrong here... or am I missing something?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 11:49:07 am by Doug K »